Trane thermostats are programmable, meaning that you can set them to adjust the temperature to suit your needs automatically. You can program them to heat or cool your home and operate on a schedule.
You can program your Trane thermostat for Heat or Cool by accessing the schedule and presets in the menu on your thermostat. Then choose a schedule from the three options provided, which include; 1-touch preset, energy savings, and custom schedules.
In this article, I’ll walk you through the steps to program your Trane thermostat for heat or cool. I’ll also provide tips on getting the most out of your thermostat.
1. Press the Menu Button on Your Trane Thermostat
Locate your thermostat where it was installed and press the “Menu” button. You’ll find the menu button in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. This button allows you to access various settings and options that you can use to customize the thermostat to your specific needs.
2. Press the Schedule and Presets Option
Once you have pressed the “Menu” button, scroll down until you see the option for “Schedule.” Once you have found that, press the button that says “Set.” From there, you will be able to choose the schedule and presets option that you want.
3. Set the Types of Schedule You Would Like
Once you are in the schedule and presets option, you can choose the types of schedule you want, including 1-Touch preset, energy savings, or a custom schedule. These schedules, however, have their advantages and disadvantages.
1-touch preset is the easiest to use, but they don’t allow you to customize the schedule to your specific needs.
With Away, Home, and Sleep presets included in the 1-touch preset, you can automatically schedule your thermostat to turn on and off. Here’s how to go about it
- Choose the schedule you wish to set (Away, Home and Sleep).
- Press the “Heat To” or “Cool To” button to change heating and cooling.
- Use the up and down button to change the temperature suitable to you.
- Press “Apply“
If you encounter problems scheduling your thermostat using the 1-Touch Preset, please consult your thermostat’s user manual.
The energy savings preset allows you to schedule your thermostat to automatically turn off when you are not home and turn on when you are. The energy savings preset is an efficient way to reduce your energy cost. However, when using this preset, you may not be as comfortable using a custom schedule.
Have a Question? Ask HVAC Technician
Click here to use the chatbox to speak with one of our technicians.
No in-home service calls. No appointments.
Scheduling your thermostat using this preset is easy and only takes a few minutes. Follow the steps, and you’ll have your thermostat scheduled in no time!
- Choose the energy-saving preset you want to use by clicking the corresponding button on the left side of the screen.
- Review the presented settings and confirm the days of the week you want the preset energy savings to be in effect.
- Press “Apply.”
Now that you know how to schedule your Trane thermostat using the energy savings preset, you can save money on your utility bills.
Handy tip: Trane thermostat does not allow you to modify the energy savings preset.
A custom schedule preset is used to adjust the temperature at different times of the day.
This customization can be useful if you want to save energy or have someone in your home sensitive to temperature changes. However, this preset type is more difficult to set than the other two.
There are two options for this kind of preset: Guided scheduling, which guides you through creating your schedule using a series of on-screen prompts, and manual scheduling, which lets you adjust your schedule as you see fit using the buttons on the screen.
Using Guided Scheduling
The good thing about the Trane thermostat is that it provides a guided custom scheduling feature that can help you customize your thermostat settings using prompted steps,
The guided custom scheduling feature is designed to help you create a schedule that works for you rather than using the standard schedules in the thermostat.
In addition, the guided custom scheduling feature will also take into account the comings and goings of your household — so that your Trane thermostat can adjust the temperature accordingly.
Here’s how to set up this feature
- Under the custom schedule, press the guided scheduling option.
- Follow all the prompts as shown on the screen of your thermostat.
- Press “Apply.”
Using the Manually Customized Scheduling
Unlike guided scheduling, manually customized scheduling is the most flexible and precise way to schedule your thermostat. You can create a schedule that’s comfortable for you and then make adjustments as your needs change.
Here’s how to schedule your Trane thermostat using the manually customized scheduling feature
- Under the custom schedule, press the manual scheduling option.
- Select grouping.
- Pick the days of the week that will have the same schedule. If each day has its schedule, choose only that day of the week.
- To set a day apart, you need to click “Add Period” (you can set up four different periods).
- Place a period where you want it by pressing the green “+” sign.
- To apply a preset period name, select Home, Away, Evening, or Sleep; otherwise, select New to create your own. Click Next to continue.
- Confirm that the period has been added and press next.
- Setting a period will bring you to a new screen where you can modify the start time, end time, cooling temperature, and heating temperature for each period.
- If you want to change the start time for a period, select any period by clicking on its name, then click on Time Start. You can also change the end time of a period by selecting Time End.
- The right side of the screen will display Up and Down arrows and a clock symbol. Change the time by using these arrows, then click Apply.
- If you want to adjust the temperatures for a specific period, choose Cool To or Heat To.
- The arrows on the right will show wave options on the screen. The waves appear blue if Cool To is chosen. In contrast, waves will appear red if Heat To is chosen. To change the temperature, use the up and down arrows to select either of the two waves.
- Press Apply.
It’s important to note that the thermostat takes some time to implement the changes. So be patient, and don’t be surprised if your changes aren’t applied immediately.
If you wish to disable the schedule and presets feature on your Trane thermostat, just access the “Menu.” Use the arrow keys to scroll down to the “schedule and presets” option and press it. This option will bring you to a screen where you can disable the schedule and preset features.
Note: Disabling the schedule and presets feature will revert your thermostat to manual control mode.
If you’re having issues with the temperature readings, head to my post, “Trane Thermostat Error Codes,” to understand the potential issues and how to fix them.
Programming a Trane thermostat is a simple process that can be done in a few minutes. Following the thermostat prompts and selecting the desired settings, you can program the thermostat to heat or cool your home.
Now that you know how to program a Trane thermostat for Heat or Cool, you can keep your home comfortable all year. Just remember to check the batteries regularly and to change the filter every few months. With a little care, your Trane thermostat will keep you comfortable for years.