If you are struggling with polluted indoor air, you may be wondering what you can use to improve your air quality. Luckily there are a few devices to choose from.
Air quality improvement devices are produced to clean the air in your home. Some devices include air purifiers, dehumidifiers, and ventilators. You can use these devices to purify your home of harmful toxins that may trigger allergic reactions, rashes, or discomfort.
Read on if you would like to learn more about air quality improvement devices and how they can help clean the air around your home. Below are some of the most common air purifying devices on the market and their benefits.
1. Air Purifiers
A good air purifier will revive stale air, lowering the risk of respiratory infections, neurological disorders, and asthmatic symptoms caused by indoor contaminants. They remove various indoor air pollutants, keeping the air in our home fresh and healthy.
Indoor air is sucked into the air purifier and filtered before being released. The filter pulls clean air back into the space after removing airborne contaminants like dust.
As a result of the carefully designed filters, air quality will be significantly improved by effectively eliminating the most harmful and bothersome particles.
Read: Why Does Air Purifier Have White Dust?
Benefits of Air Purifiers
- Relieve symptoms of allergies. If you suffer from allergies or hay fever, keeping an air purifier in your sleep or work room can be very beneficial. It will keep the allergens in the air as low as possible, thereby reducing your symptoms.
- Filter harmful chemicals. Many household cleaning products contain harmful chemicals. Short bursts of exposure to these chemicals is okay, but repeated exposure can cause major health problems such as tumors, cancer, cardiovascular issues, and more. These chemicals can be removed by air purifiers that use activated carbon, lowering the risk of various health problems.
- Removing unpleasant odors. Odors are caused by microscopic particles that float through the air. Purifiers can remove unpleasant smells from the air by pulling in and removing these particles and then recirculating clean air.
- Improved sleep quality. Chemicals, allergens, and unpleasant odors can affect the quality and quantity of sleep we get. Having an air purifier in your bedroom can improve your quality of sleep by raising the quality of the air in your bedroom.
- Reduces the chances of getting airborne diseases. Seasonal bugs like the common cold or the flu are airborne diseases, which means they are distributed by particles in the air. Purifiers with HEPA filters are built to capture these germs. Air purifiers are necessary if you live with young children, the elderly, or anyone with a compromised immune system.
The amount of humidity in the air affects the quality of the air you breathe indoors. An excellent way to counteract this is to use a dehumidifier. A home dehumidifier lowers the humidity levels in your space, thereby improving the air quality.
The ideal level of humidity in a space is between 35% and 60%. When it rises above 50%, it encourages the growth of mold and mildew and allows dust mites to flourish.
It’s important to empty humidifiers regularly and to keep them clean. When a humidifier is dirty, it will do more harm than good.
Read: Do Dehumidifiers Use A Lot Of Electricity?
Benefits of Dehumidifiers
- Control moisture levels. When a house’s indoor moisture levels are high, it can lead to structural problems such as warping and deterioration. Paint can also start bubbling and peeling off your walls. Condensation also causes mold to form, which is a serious health hazard. Dehumidifiers can combat all of the above by controlling the moisture levels in your home.
- Control dust mites. Dust mites love warm, humid environments and usually live in bedding, upholstered furniture, and carpets. The most effective way to get rid of these annoying insects is by keeping the level of moisture and humidity low because dust mites do not do well in dry air.
- Protect your electronics. Humidity condenses and settles on electronic devices leading to electronic short circuits and corrosion. A dehumidifier will control condensation, protecting your electronics from deterioration, rust, and malfunction.
- Improve comfort levels. Nobody likes feeling hot, sweaty, and sticky all the time, which can happen during those scorching summer months. Generally, homes with the correct humidity levels are more pleasant to be in. When a dehumidifier is used, the interior air quality improves because the air temperature is maintained.
- Lower energy costs. Dehumidifiers make it easier for air conditioners to function. They remove excess moisture from the air, which will make it feel less stuffy inside. As a result, the AC system will have less work to do, thereby conserving energy.
If you want to know more about the types of AC systems in apartments, check out my other article here.
Have a Question? Ask HVAC Technician
Click here to use the chatbox to speak with one of our technicians.
No in-home service calls. No appointments.
Controlled ventilation is essential for a comfortable home environment and clean air. Homes today are more airtight than ever. In completely closed homes, such as apartments, the absence of proper air exchange with the outdoors may cause indoor air pollutants to reach high levels.
A mechanical ventilation system provides a steady supply of fresh, filtered, and conditioned air to your home from the outside while eliminating stale indoor air.
A balanced exchange of stale indoor air with fresh outdoor air takes place through exhaust ducts. The central unit transfers heat from outgoing air to incoming fresh air as it passes through a heat exchanger.
Read: How To Keep House Ventilated In Winter? (10 Tips)
Benefits of Ventilators
- Stress reduction. Recent studies have shown that exposure to common air pollutants may lead to anxiety, depression, cognitive deficits, and dementia. By providing higher oxygen levels and lower CO2 levels, the ventilation system helps the brain function at its best, thereby lowering the risk of feeling stressed and anxious.
- Reduce cooking smells. Mechanical ventilation systems are often set up in the kitchen, near the stove, to remove the cooking smells. By sucking out the polluted air and replacing it with fresh air, the smells are reduced.
- Less time feeling Sick. Home ventilation systems can help people feel and stay healthy. For example, poor ventilation in a home or office has been shown to increase the number of times people fall ill. There is also a correlation between higher ventilation and fewer absences from work.
4. UV Lights
By using short-wave ultraviolet radiation (UV-C light), UV air purifiers can kill airborne pathogens such as mold, bacteria, and viruses. UV light air purifiers are built to lessen pollutants in the inside air.
A filter receives the air as it is pulled into the device. The air is then sent through a small inside chamber where it is exposed to UV radiation. Before the air is released into the room, it will go through another filter.
UV light can harm your eyes, so it should always be contained inside an air purifier or other device.
Read: Can Black Mold Grow In Window Air Conditioners?
Benefits of UV Lights
- Kill mold and mildew. UV light kills cells, effectively removing living airborne organisms such as mildew and mold. Mold spores are destroyed by germicidal UV-C light, which is used in UV air purifiers. This prevents the spores from growing into new mold.
- Help with dust. After we clean an area or surface, dust particles always float around, which will inevitably land on the newly cleaned surface again. A UV light air purifier continuously filters these particles, preventing the dust from settling.
- Eliminate the smell of tobacco. Active carbon filters are typically found in UV light air purifiers. Active carbon is a very porous substance that collects and absorbs unpleasant odors. UV light air purifiers are particularly beneficial for smokers because they not only clean the air but also eliminate the smell of tobacco.
Read: Should You Give Your Air Conditioner A Break?
The quality of the air in your home directly affects your life. Poor air quality can result in sickness, allergies, and foul odors, among other things. Investing in a suitable air purifying device will improve the quality of the air you breathe and therefore the quality of your life.