Air circulation is essential in the home because it can help keep it cool and makes the environment healthier to breathe in. While opening windows is an excellent way to circulate air in a house, you can also use fans. But how do you use fans to circulate air?
To circulate air in a house with fans, you can use multiple fans in each window. Placing ice in front of the ice will ensure the fan blows cool air, and using various fans will circulate more air. On hot days, avoid opening windows when using fans.
Knowing how to circulate air in a house with fans is essential if you want to keep the air breathable, and it also makes the home feel cooler. Read on to learn some of the top tips to circulate air in your house with fans!
1. Place Ice in Front of the Fans
Placing ice in front of fans is an excellent way to make a room feel cooler, and it can also circulate air.
However, you’ll need to Can Black Mold Grow In Window Air Conditioners? the ice often, especially if the temperature in your home is high (because the ice will melt quickly). This method is super easy; you only need ice and a bowl or bucket.
Here’s how to use ice to cool your house down:
- Fill a bowl or bucket with ice.
- Place the bowl or bucket directly in front of the fan.
- Turn the fan on.
- Feel the air turn colder!
Using ice with your fan is an excellent way to save on your energy bill while circulating the air in your house and making it cooler; it’s cheaper than using an air conditioning unit.
Read: Should You Give Your Air Conditioner A Break?
2. Use Multiple Fans in Each Room
Another thing you can do is use multiple fans in each room. You might be tempted to use only one fan in each room, but this won’t be very useful if the room is big.
Using a single fan means the air will only be directed one way. Even if you use your fan’s rotate option, it won’t be very effective. To combat this issue, consider having multiple fans in each room (or at least the busiest rooms).
That way, you can face them in different directions, allowing the air to circulate in all parts of the room. It may not be necessary to use multiple fans in a room if it’s small, so this step only applies to bigger rooms that would benefit from numerous fans.
3. Place Fans on Windows
Another thing you can do to circulate air in your house using fans is place some fans on windows facing out. It’s good to do this at night because the fans facing out the window will blow the warm air from indoors out.
Have a Question? Ask HVAC Technician
Click here to use the chatbox to speak with one of our technicians.
No in-home service calls. No appointments.
In addition to having fans facing out the windows, you can have fans inside the rooms, circulating the cooler air around. It’s better to keep the windows open at night because the air is colder. But of course, you can keep them open constantly if it’s cold all day.
It works best to do this in all house rooms with windows to promote better air circulation. However, avoid doing it during the day if it’s hot and sunny. While doing this step, you can also place ice in front of the fans in the room for an extra cooling effect.
Read: Is It Cheaper To Run A Portable Air Conditioner Or Central Air?
4. Keep Fans in the Busiest Parts of the House
If you don’t have many fans but want to keep your house cool and circulate the air, you should only keep them in the busiest rooms.
There’s no point using fans in empty spaces, especially if you don’t have an endless supply of fans. When you keep the fans you do have in the most used rooms will feel cooler and have better air circulation.
If every part of the house is busy, aim to have fans spread equally across the home. You should also have windows open to promote air circulation. But if it’s hot, only open the windows early in the morning and night, as I mentioned earlier.
5. Keep Windows Closed When Using Fans on Hot Days
It’s good to keep windows closed when using fans on hot days when the temperature is the hottest. If you keep windows open and use fans when the weather is warm, you’ll circulate warm air around the house and make yourself more uncomfortable.
Here is a brief guide on how to cool your house and circulate air on a hot summer’s day:
- Close windows and blinds/curtains. Closing the windows will stop hot air from getting into your home. Closing blinds and curtains will stop the hot sun from shining in.
- Place fans around the house. Once all windows, curtains, and blinds are closed, you can place fans around your home. Ensure you have enough fans for adequate air circulation and keep them on when you’re occupying the rooms.
- Open windows and blinds/curtains once the sun goes down. That way, you can let the cooler fresh air in at night. You can also keep windows open in the early morning. But once it gets hot and sunny, it’s best to keep them fully closed.
Read: How To Fix Ecobee Thermostat AC Blowing Cold Air Through Intake Vent?
6. Consider Installing Ceiling Fans
Another tip is to install ceiling fans in your house. You can generally find large ceiling fans that blow air across larger areas than regular standing fans. They’re a worthwhile investment if you use them often.
Ceiling fans are a standard addition in warm places in the country like Texas and in other countries around the world because of how well they work. According to the US Department of Energy, ceiling fans are the most effective for cooling and circulation.
However, they’re only appropriate if your ceiling is at least eight feet (2.4 meters) tall. So, measure your ceiling’s height before investing in a ceiling fan.
Read: Can Black Mold Grow In Window Air Conditioners?
Other Ways To Circulate Air in a House
Here are the best ways to circulate air in a house and keep it cool naturally:
- Keep doors open. Another helpful method is to keep doors open to promote airflow and circulation. If you keep each room door closed, each room might become stuffy (especially the smaller rooms). Keeping everything open is an excellent way to get air moving around your house without wasting energy.
- Keep windows open if appropriate. Opening windows is another good way to promote air circulation in a home. Even if it’s cold out, you should aim to open your windows daily for a short period (five minutes is enough in winter).
- Have appropriate ventilation. Ensure you have good ventilation in your home, including vent units; this is good for air circulation.
There are different ways to circulate air in a house using fans. Placing ice in front of fans is an excellent way to get the cool air flowing. You can also keep fans facing out of open windows to blow warmer air out. At the same time, you can use fans in the room to blow cooler air around.
It’s best to keep windows and curtains/blinds closed during the day if it’s hot and sunny to block the heat and hot air from getting into your house. You can open them once the sun is gone down.