The ecobee Smart Thermostat is a top-of-the-line device that can help save you money on your energy bill and keep your home comfortable. One of the features that sets it apart from other thermostats is the air quality sensor.
Common ecobee thermostat air quality problems include false readings, incomplete sensor calibration, outdated software, and a blank screen. Quick fixes include calibrating the sensor for an hour, updating the software, and ensuring the device receives power.
Read on for a rundown of each issue, as well as the solutions.
1. The Sensor Gives the Wrong Reading
The most common problem among ecobee owners is that their devices may say that the air quality is poor even when there’s nothing wrong.
That usually happens because of a false positive reading from the sensor, which can be caused by several things, including:
- Failure to calibrate the sensor: One potential cause for a false positive is failure to expose the device to poor air quality during calibration. If the device is not calibrated, it will not be able to measure air quality accurately.
- Defective sensor: If the sensor itself is faulty, it may give incorrect readings.
- Dust on the thermostat: Dust can accumulate on the device and interfere with the sensor’s ability to take accurate readings.
- Insects in the device: If there are cracks in the device, insects can enter and throw off the sensor readings.
Read: Nest Or Ecobee Thermostat. What To Choose?
How To Fix?
Here are a few ways to fix the problem of a false positive reading from the sensor:
- Calibrate the device: The best way to ensure accurate readings from the sensor is to calibrate it. To do that, you need to expose the device to poor air quality for at least an hour. Once the device is calibrated, it should be able to take accurate readings.
- Clean the device: If there’s dust or dirt on the device, you can try cleaning it with a soft cloth. Ensure that you don’t use any harsh chemicals, as they can damage the device.
- Keep your pets away from the device and clean them more frequently. That will reduce the amount of dander and other particles in the environment and allow for more accurate readings.
- Replace the thermostat if it has cracks: If the device is cracked, the best remedy is to replace it.
2. The Sensor Doesn’t Finish Calibrating
Calibration is setting up the device and exposing it to poor and good air quality for at least an hour to ensure accurate readings. The significance of calibrating goes without saying; if the device isn’t calibrated, it won’t give accurate readings. As a result, it’s essential to ensure that the device is calibrated before use.
Read: Ecobee Humidity Sensor Problem
How To Fix?
If the sensor doesn’t finish calibrating, there are a few things you can do:
- Check that the battery is inserted correctly and has enough charge.
- Expose the sensor to poor air quality for at least an hour. For example, you can spray a strong perfume near the sensor or place it near a smoky fire.
- Open your doors and windows to improve ventilation and expose the sensor to fresh air.
Extra Tip: If you’ve tried all of these things and the sensor still doesn’t finish calibrating, reach out to the customer service team for assistance.
That said, by exposing the appliance to poor quality air for one hour, I don’t mean spraying the perfume near continuously. Simply spray a bit of it and close the doors and windows for an hour. After that, open the doors and windows to let in fresh air.
Have a Question? Ask HVAC Technician
Click here to use the chatbox to speak with one of our technicians.
No in-home service calls. No appointments.
Also, it’s best to note that it may take up to eight hours for the sensor to finish calibrating in exceptional circumstances. So, don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t happen immediately.
3. The Software Is Out of Date
When was the last time you updated your ecobee thermostat’s software? If it’s been a while, there’s a chance that the software is out of date. Since updates usually include bug fixes and new features, it’s always a good idea to update to the latest version as soon as possible.
Outdated software can cause many problems, including an inaccurate sensor. Other tell-tale signs that your software is out of date include:
- The device isn’t responding to input: If you find that the device isn’t responding to your input, it’s likely because the software is out of date. For example, you might press the button to turn on the fan, but nothing happens.
- The device isn’t controlling the temperature correctly: If the device isn’t able to maintain the temperature you’ve set, it’s likely because the software is outdated.
- The device displays inaccurate weather information: If the device is displaying inaccurate weather information, it might be because the software is outdated.
Read: How To Fix Ecobee Thermostat AC Blowing Cold Air Through Intake Vent?
How To Fix?
To fix this problem, you need to update the software on your device. The process is simple and automatic, so you don’t need to do anything other than connect the device to Wi-Fi and wait for the update to finish.
Once the update is complete, you should find that the sensor is more accurate. In addition, you might also notice that the device is more responsive, and the weather information is more accurate.
If you’re still having trouble, contact customer service for assistance.
4. The Screen Is Blank
Another problem you might encounter is a blank screen. That can be caused by many things, including:
- The device is turned off: If the power button is pressed and the screen is blank, it’s likely because the device is turned off. Several things can cause the device to turn off, including a power outage, damaged breaker, or a power surge.
- The batteries are low: If the batteries are low, the screen might go blank.
How To Fix?
If the screen is blank, there are a few things you can do:
- Check the power: First, check that the device is plugged in and that there isn’t a power cut. If the device is plugged in and it is still receiving power, try resetting the breaker.
- If the batteries are low, replace them: If the screen is blank and you suspect that the batteries are low, replace them. If you’re still having trouble, reach out to customer service for assistance.
General Tips for Improving Air Quality
Now that we’ve gone over some of the specific problems you might encounter using your ecobee thermostat to monitor air quality, let’s look at some general tips for improving air quality.
Ensure Your Home Is Well-ventilated
Good ventilation is essential for good air quality. If your home isn’t well-ventilated, the air can become stagnant and polluted.
To improve ventilation, follow these tips:
- Open doors and windows when weather permits.
- Consider using exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Make sure your home’s HVAC system is operating correctly.
Invest in an Air Filter
Besides ventilating your home, you should also consider filtering the air. Air filters help remove pollutants from the air, making it healthier to breathe.
When choosing an air filter, look for one designed to remove specific pollutants, such as:
- Dust mites
- Pet dander
When choosing an air filter, it’s also essential to consider the size of the unit. The size will determine the amount of air that can be filtered and the effectiveness of the unit.
For example, a small air purifier might be effective in a single room, but it might not be able to filter the air in an entire house.
On the other hand, a large air purifier might be able to filter the air in an entire house, but it might be too bulky for a single room.
It’s also important to consider the noise level of the unit. Some air purifiers are quiet, while others produce a lot of noise.
If you’re looking for a quiet air purifier, look for one that uses HEPA filters. HEPA filters are designed to trap particles as small as 0.3 microns. To put it into perspective, a micron is about 1/100th the width of a human hair.
In addition, make sure to choose an air purifier with a high CADR rating. The CADR rating measures the amount of airborne particulates that are removed from the air. The higher the CADR rating, the more effective the air purifier will be.
Read: Why Ecobee Thermostat Runs For 5 Mins And Then Shuts Off?
Keep the House Clean
Another simple way to improve air quality is to keep the house clean. Regularly cleaning your home will help remove pollutants from the air and make breathing easier.
When cleaning, pay special attention to areas where dust and dirt tend to accumulate, such as:
- Air vents
Read: How To Fix Ecobee Thermostat Connection Problems?
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a surefire way to monitor the air quality in your home, consider using an ecobee smart thermostat. However, like most products, the thermostat has its fair share of problems.
The most common problem is a false positive reading showing the air quality is poor even when it’s not. A quick solution is resetting or recalibrating the unit, although most of the tips I’ve mentioned may help. If you’re having trouble after attempting those methods, reach out to customer service for assistance.